"perio" means around and "dontal" means tooth. Periodontal disease is an infection the gradually destroys the tissue surrounding your teeth and the jawbone that supports them. Nearly 3 out of 4 people will be affected with some form of gum disease at some time in their life. This, if left untreated, often progress to periodontics and eventual tooth loss
Common cause of gum disease :
- 1. Poor oral hygiene : the root cause of gum disease is plaque.
- 2. Diet : Nutritional deficiency (e.g vit. G deficiency), excessive alcohol consumption.
- 3. Habits : smoking, pan chewing, tobacco chewing, excessive use of toothpicks.
- 4. Dental cause : large unattended cavities, irregular teeth, ill fitting dentures, ongoing braces treatment.
- 5. Medical cause : diabetes, pregnancy, use of oral contraceptives, steroids etc.